The day before light night, we tested the sculpture in the University Theatre space. We placed the project at the correct distance from the sculpture, but we were unable to raise the sculpture two and a half metres to match the wall where it would be placed. We mapped the projection onto each mirrored fragment and setup the sequence of video clips. The software we used was Resolume, which none of us had any prior experience of, but we found it very easy-to-use. Below is an image from our test.
In the theatre space, the projection was clearly reflected by the mirrored pieces; however, the ambient lighting of the surrounding streetlights in the final installation place made it difficult to distinguish the video. We altered the angle of the mirrors on the day in the order to of improve the reflection. We were able to achieve faint images on the stairs of the Newton building.
Later we decided to try projecting directly onto the neighbouring building. Although the sculpture didn’t have the effect we wanted, the prism worked very well with the projection. The interactive element was particularly successful with children.
Even though we had to make a lot of changes to the installation, I believe that I learnt a lot of new skills during the project and enjoyed creating both the sculpture and video content. I hope to use the woodshop in my future projects.
Other installations during Light Night included projections on the Newton building by Nottingham Trent’s film practice masters students. There were also daleks and a tardis outside the Theatre Royal, and events held in the market square and at the castle.