To create the effect of an aged poster I decided to layer newsprint painted in different colours onto the flattage before painting the final poster. I built up the layers using PVA and Supersaturated Rosco paints.
After the under-layers were completed, I set to work painting a section of an old poster. Due to the dystopian theme of the story, I wanted the poster to be a face that loomed over passersby.
When I was happy with the top layer, I coated it with PVA and then started to tear off sections that I had left loose from the layers beneath. I then used a brown wash to further age the poster.
I wanted the sides of the scenery piece to look like a girder, so I used a 3D printer to make rivets, used a glue-gun to fix them to the MDF sides and then painted over them using a strong black primer.
Completed scenery section